The Pom Blog

Baltimore Grand Prix, not without controversy

Move over Monaco, because it’s time for the Baltimore Grand Prix! This year, the race returns in its second year to take over the streets of downtown Baltimore. The circuit is 2.04 miles featuring 12 turns (one of which, a hairpin turn) that runs from Inner Harbor to Camden Yards. The race, presented by SRT, starts this Friday, August 31, and continues through Sunday, September 2. The Grand Prix will feature the IZOD IndyCar Series and the American Le Mans Series. In addition to the speed and adrenalin of the races, other events are scheduled throughout the weekend for the entire family. These include: live music at the Winner Circle Stage, three DHL Speed Zones and the Dr. Pepper Ten Go-Cart Track.

For the full schedule and ticket information, visit the Official Website.

No event is complete without a bit of controversy. 

Apparently, not everyone in the city of Baltimore is excited about this event. Besides having to close down the city’s businesses, trees were removed for the track—creating quite a stir. While inaugural race in 2011 was deemed successful by ESPN, it did not bring is as much monetary return as the city expected. The Baltimore Business Journal is already expecting a slump in attendance this year compared to last.

Did you go to the Baltimore Grand Prix last year? What is your take on the controversy? 

2 Responses to “Baltimore Grand Prix, not without controversy”

  1. Ed Wise says:

    Loved the race last year, I stayed 4 nights and had a great time in Baltimore.

  2. Pomerantz says:

    Wonderful! So glad you had a good time. Will you be attending this year?

Ask Your Question or Leave a Comment

Powered by WordPress
Entries Feed and Comments Feed